2023 Junior Umpiring Information and Application
The EPBA is seeking junior umpires for the spring and summer of 2023. Applications are now accepted. Junior umpires are defined as those still in school/high school. If you are a senior/travel/advanced ump, please refer to the travel/senior umpire page.
If you are a prospective or returning junior umpire, please read this letter in its entirety. Then click on links at end of this bulletin to apply.
Umpire pay starts at $40/game for entry/third grade level and progressively scales to $60 for higher grade levels or travel games. During the season there are often opportunities for qualified junior umpires to sub for senior umpires at travel games and tourneys. In these instances, the junior umpire is paid at the full travel rate of $60.
At the highest levels (Legion, Town Ball), umpires can make over $75-$90 per game. Entry level umpires can expect to receive 5 to 9 games per season (or much more) although your summer schedule and conflicts may increase or decrease the number of games called. Experienced umpires that remain in the system for multiple years can find the number of games/season increase to much higher levels.
Umpiring is like any other job and can be a resume builder (for work and leadership). Umpiring does develop leadership, communication, and responsibility skills. References can be provided as appropriate. For long term, umpiring can become a significant source of secondary income during the summer months. There is a general lack of qualified umpires at the youth level and the EPBA is seeking individuals who not only will work enthusiastically and responsibly, but also strive for excellence on the job.
For EPBA umpiring, most games are played at fields in Eden Prairie. The season runs from May through July 2023. Minimum age requirement is 14 years old during the 2023 season: Applicants should be born before May 1, 2009. Registration deadline is February 12, 2023.
Training details will be provided at a later date.
Job requirements are as follows:
- Attend and complete all required training sessions (as possible) including concussion certification. Read all training materials and communications from the umpiring director.
- 100 % communication with umpire directors, scheduler/assignors.
- 100% compliance with use of Arbitor online scheduling tool:This means that you properly register with the site, keep your availability updated, respond to assignor/tool communications regarding game assignments.
- 100% responsibility to make assigned games and if any changes are made (due to legitimate conflicts such as illness, EPBA game etc), to communicate this to your assignor as soon as possible.
- Comply with uniform code.
- Umpires calling games for grades 3-8:Umpire shirts and gear provided.
- Umpires calling games grades 9-12 and travel: Full umpire gear at your expense is preferred but the EPBA does have some equipment to loan and polos to give. Note: The EPBA will arrange for umpiring gear at affordable prices .
Click HERE to apply.